This months artwork is contributed by Sharra1515

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

We are gonna start homeschooling again

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
onetruebeliever

PostSubject: We are gonna start homeschooling again   Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:27 pm

My son has decided he wants to finally get his GED. We homeschooled/unschooled several years ago because of his illness. We need to revisit everything and really concentrate on algebra , geometry and writing. He was not totally stable when we schooled, so he doesn't have a strong background in those subjects. Most of it he can do on his own, but the Maths and English I will teach. He refuses to take GED classes - he doesn't do well in a classroom setting at all. I've been spending hours looking at math curricula online. There is so much more high school stuff than when we did it the first time. I will help him any way I can. He is very smart, so we will pull it off! UGH! Yikes! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharra1515

PostSubject: Re: We are gonna start homeschooling again   Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:43 am

Sylvana Institute seem to have success with children with special learning needs. I know he's not a child, but they might be able to give you ideas on what habits might help him. Irefuse to put my daughter on meds for her ADDHA. I had her dad modify the exercise bike with a desk top, she can stay active while focusing. HAHAHAHA it works for us. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onetruebeliever

PostSubject: Re: We are gonna start homeschooling again   Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:22 pm

Oh, I know. Thanks for reminding of that! Very Happy Most of the tutoring centers sounded great, but they would not consider taking him because of his illness. Cottage school wouldn't take him either. We have learned since his first day on earth what works and doesn't work for him - much of my learning thru oceans of tears, frustration and sometimes anger ( and pure exhaustion). A structured math and English curriculum work best for him, while history, science, etc. is accomplished in the unschooling way. A classroom is the worst possible way for him to learn anything. Trust me, I devised many ways for him to learn while he was in public school, especially 6th - 8th grades.

He learned a great deal when we did school, but he was so far behind - it took a whole homeschool year to teach him the multiplication and division that he did not learn in school. Some "genius" on the school board decided that kids were to stay at the level they needed in the core subjects before moving on. Mike needed to stay in 3rd grade math while in 4th grade, so, while his 4th grade classmates were learning mult. and div., he totally skipped that because the geniuses then said, well, he's got to take 5th grade math in 5th grade to be ready for middle school!!! HUH? Unbelievable! Evil or Very Mad He did well in all other subjects while in grade school. He is extremely smart - has a very high IQ, but his illness prevented him from proving it in school. It truly was a nightmare. Anyway.......

We have to thoroughly go thru the GED prep books and form a basis of study. We have found a great math program that will work for him. We are starting at prealgebra and going from there. I still have our HS stuff downstairs and will supplement with more advanced study material as needed. I know this is more info than you need, but I got started and couldn't stop. I guess it's habit from trying to explain our decisions to people. LOL Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharra1515

PostSubject: Re: We are gonna start homeschooling again   Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:14 pm

No that's awesome, it can help me with my daughter. We found that gluten was a big deal with her attention and nervous energy. Got rid of the gluten and she calmed down and her focus was much better. Any help would be great. It's not easy but she is a wonderful child and worth it. I know your son is too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onetruebeliever

PostSubject: Re: We are gonna start homeschooling again   Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:17 pm

Our kids are worth it for sure!! I love you Micheal is a visual/ auditory learner - he did not do well with sheets of questions, having to read chapters for information, and tests. In other words, traditional teaching methods. He saw every single item on the page and had trouble singling out only one question or spelling word at a time. He has since figured out how to fix that - he is a great reader now. He learned more in one year of homeschooling than he did in all of the eight years he spent in school. That's really sad.

He's in such a good place right now - I want to help him reach his potential - I've always wanted that, but it depended on his stability and cycling. His cycle could change tomorrow, but we will have given the GED our best shot!! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onetruebeliever

PostSubject: An interesting fact   Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:24 am

The opening remarks in every GED prep book we recently purchased states that 40% of high school seniors could not pass this test. And it does not seem that difficult to me. If that's the case then it proves our schools systems are in dire straits! Very sad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharra1515

PostSubject: Re: We are gonna start homeschooling again   Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:38 am

Yes mama you are right we schools closing due to lack of funds, some school systems are making parents pay from 300 to 800 dollars a year for their children to ride the bus. Soon all kids will be home schooled. I home schooled for 2 years, but the school they arein now has excellent and caring teachers that truly seem to like kids. The ones that help with my daughters ADD/HA are so awesome they had her up with the rest of the class in 2 months. Blessing each one of them. I love you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onetruebeliever

PostSubject: Re: We are gonna start homeschooling again   Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:34 pm

Sharra1515 wrote:
Yes mama you are right we schools closing due to lack of funds, some school systems are making parents pay from 300 to 800 dollars a year for their children to ride the bus. Soon all kids will be home schooled. I home schooled for 2 years, but the school they arein now has excellent and caring teachers that truly seem to like kids. The ones that help with my daughters ADD/HA are so awesome they had her up with the rest of the class in 2 months. Blessing each one of them. I love you

I'll add my blessings as well. Your daughter is very lucky to have such great teachers. Micheal had some truly wonderful teachers, too. But with 29 other kids in the class, they could not meet his needs - we even had a 504 plan in place( a state plan for at risk students to help with daily needs). I would not blame his teachers. Poor guy just shut down. He was never any trouble (until the end of his public school life). The classrooms were just too chaotic for him. Not being able to get the trouble makers out of the classroom was another huge problem. It is bureaucracy that has the teacher's hands tied. The achievement test has become the curriculum, and that is partly parents' fault as well as the politicians. Our curriculum has been so dumbed down. There is no challenge. Not enough books for each student to have their own. And not enough funds. It is a sad state of affairs.

The homeschool population here is immense. Most are not homeschooling because of their religious beliefs, they are doing it because of the systems failing their children. My niece(in law) has homeschooled her quintuplets and they are way ahead of most 9 year olds - at least a grade and a half.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RATTISSIA
Admin

PostSubject: Re: We are gonna start homeschooling again   Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:59 pm

Well done on him wanting to get his ged. Sorry I've been MIA. Summer was crazy fun! I'll do a post about it later (I've got physics class here in an hour so I've gotta jet soon though).

I see you're talking about helping him with the math section. If you need any help with any of it let me know and I'll try to help. I'm a mathematics education major so this is my area Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://paranormalga.forumotion.com
onetruebeliever

PostSubject: Re: We are gonna start homeschooling again   Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:50 pm

Hey stranger!! Glad to see ya. I thought maybe ya "fell in!!" I'm glad you had a great summer. Thanks for your offer, Rattissia. I found a really good program that fits his learning style - he thought it looked good, too. It is recommended on most of the hs sites, too. Math was not my forte.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
southerncharm

PostSubject: Re: We are gonna start homeschooling again   Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:51 am

Hello dear one, it has been a while. As a mother who homeschooled a child with learning disabilities, I would suggest you try Christian Light Education, they will send you a sample of whatever topic you wish. While it is a Christian based they do not not put an emplhasis on doctrine, and the courses are divided into 10 booklets, it is not over whelming as opening a textbook and seeing everything at once.
I would not recommend ABEKA for him as it it very confusing for a child with disabilities. There is a website for Christian Light, as I said it worked well for my son, you might want to start with one of the general math courses thathas an introduction to algebra.

Southern Charm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharra1515

PostSubject: Re: We are gonna start homeschooling again   Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:57 am

Hi Ratissia I'm glad your back and that your summer was a blast. It has been a crazy summer that's for sure.

Nope math was not my best either, Tho I find numbers fascinating. Well OTB about any other subject I can help with. Okay except Amer. History I always found it rather boring. Tho I do read Bios. on major history characters.

Rattissia did you say you were or had studied physics?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onetruebeliever

PostSubject: Re: We are gonna start homeschooling again   Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:07 pm

Another long lost member!! LOL How are you SC? It has been a long time indeed. I will check out Christian Light. I have looked at so much recently that my head is spinning. confused The math program I found is Teaching Textbooks. I thought it was a little hokey at first, but the more I delved into the sample, the more I liked it. Mike likes it too. We have several levels of Life Pac English downstairs, and tons of other stuff - I have to go thru what we have, see what we can use, and look at more advanced things. It won't take him long to revisit science, social studies, history and literature. Well, we may have to work on lit. a bit. Grammar, writing and math is where we will spend the majority of our time. Thanks for the suggestion! I'm glad to see you, SC!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onetruebeliever

PostSubject: Re: We are gonna start homeschooling again   Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:16 pm

Sharra1515 wrote:
Hi Ratissia I'm glad your back and that your summer was a blast. It has been a crazy summer that's for sure.

Nope math was not my best either, Tho I find numbers fascinating. Well OTB about any other subject I can help with. Okay except Amer. History I always found it rather boring. Tho I do read Bios. on major history characters.

Rattissia did you say you were or had studied physics?

My algebra teacher passed me on principal - he said he never saw anybody try as hard as I did to understand and couldn't! I wouldn't call a D passing, but ............. LOL. That and gym kept me off of the honor so many times! I hated gym. I did not want to learn everything there was to know about basketball and field hockey! And our gym uniforms were so ugly and unstylish. LOL Funny thing is - now I understand algebra and geometry concepts. History - ooo - I love history.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharra1515

PostSubject: Re: We are gonna start homeschooling again   Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:00 am

I never had to take gym. If you played varsity sports you didn't have too. I was a swimmer, cross country, track and a cheerleader(for a sec) i just did have the time or the mentality for it.LOL

Ya My coach was my Geo. teacher he passed me so I could swim in the State swim meet. I had a special test.LOL
But I get it now and algebra. Maybe what it was is that they push and forced the info with negative rewards at school and now if I want to understand it I look into it on my time and my way. Rebelious nature I suppose. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onetruebeliever

PostSubject: Re: We are gonna start homeschooling again   Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:31 am

A femjock, huh? No wonder you didn't have time for cheerleading. Do you still run? My oldest son was in track, cross country and volleyball while we were in Pennsylvania. Youngest played baseball. I have that rebellious nature, too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharra1515

PostSubject: Re: We are gonna start homeschooling again   Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:57 am

Not as often as I should, but about 2 1/2 miles is still possible. I wish I was still in that shape. Wishes and fishes.LOL

Ya I'm not one who likes to be pushed but such is life, I have a tendency to push back.

I was never very good at sports that were a team effort. More of a loner, no one to depend on but myself. But I do like volleyball but I stink at it, the only thing I do well is serve. Don't ask me to make contact with the ball again because it ain't happeneing. Bahahaha
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onetruebeliever

PostSubject: Re: We are gonna start homeschooling again   Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:27 pm

2 1/2 miles! My hips and knees scream after walking a 1/2 mile. Arthritis stinks! Good for you sharra!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RATTISSIA
Admin

PostSubject: Re: We are gonna start homeschooling again   Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:00 pm

I'm studying physics right now. It's been CRAZY! (and part of why Im not on the forum as much) We've been in class now for a month n 6 days. We're 11 chapters in (I actually read my whole textbook as we go too) which is 340 pages in. That's just the textbook reading then there's the lab too. Crazy times lol Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://paranormalga.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We are gonna start homeschooling again   

Back to top Go down

We are gonna start homeschooling again
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1